US Ambassador’s Residence in Bangkok

One of the most beautiful residences in Bangkok is occupied by the US Ambassador. The wooden house on stilts, which is surrounded by a lush 10 acre garden, actually belongs to the Crown Property Bureau. The main house was built in 1914 by Henry Victor Bailey, an English architect. Upon his death it was sold to the Finance Ministry in 1920. During the Second World War it was briefly occupied by Japanese troops. In 1947, the Thais leased it to the American government as a token of their gratitude in not punishing them for taking the wrong side during the war. Today, the property is valued at around $90 million. The future is uncertain as the Crown Property Bureau has made it known in the past that it may take back the compound. Let’s hope that they decide to preserve both the house and the gardens. These photos were taken during a Christmas party at the residence.

 Map showing location of  the US Ambassador’s Residence in Bangkok:

GPS Coordinates: 13.740577, 100.545765

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *